To date*, MarXiv has saved ocean conservationists $13,787.90 from downloads on just five pay-walled papers.
Most peer-reviewed academic journal articles require a subscription to access the full-text for free. Without an institution paying for a subscription on your behalf, an individual research paper typically costs US $30-60.
Due to the cost of pay-walled journal articles, research is seldom read outside of academia. The vast majority of government institutions lack subscription access to journals — particularly journals focusing on ocean or environmental issues. Civil society organizations rarely have access, either. One study found that only 14% of the information cited in MPA (marine protected area) management plans was from primary scientific sources, with the high cost of access creating a substantial barrier.
If you want your research to be used for ocean conservation, those doing the conservation work need to be able to read more than just the abstract of your research for free. For more details, read our blog "Why MarXiv Matters: How financial barriers to research impair ocean conservation."
Fortunately, you can make your pay-walled research freely-available to everyone with MarXiv, for free! No APC charges or Open Access fees required!
*This figured was last updated on 7 February 2018.
Can I just share my paper in ResearchGate instead?
No. In most cases, it is illegal to share the final full-text PDF (also known as the Version of Record) on for-profit public websites like ResearchGate. In fact, ResearchGate is facing a lawsuit from STM — the trade group which represents big scholarly publishers — for mass copyright infringement perpetrated by researchers on the site.
What are the benefits of sharing my research in MarXiv?
- By sharing your research in MarXiv, your work is immediately publicly and freely accessible by everyone, forever!
- Across all scientific disciplines, papers available for free with a preprint — often referred to Green Open Access — are cited 30% more than the world average. Put another way, pay-walled papers are cited 10% less than what would be expected.
- Freely-available research (whether Open Access or via a preprint or postprint) is read 70% more than pay-walled research in the OpenChannels Literature Library.
- Pay-walled research is not used for ocean resource management: according to a recent study, only about 14% of the information in MPA (marine protected area) management plans is informed by primary scientific literature. The cost of accessing such research made it inaccessible to managers and policymakers.
- Most governments and government agencies do not have subscriptions to academic journals, nor do most NGOs or civil society organizations.
- Each work shared in MarXiv gets a free DOI — very useful for reports and white-papers.
- The MarXiv Team will help promote research shared in MarXiv! Through our sister-site, OpenChannels.org, we'll help make sure your research gets into the hands of ocean conservationists who need it the most.
- We may summarize your research for free! Each week, the MarXiv Team aims to summarize around 3 papers for a manager and policymaker audience. Click here to browse our list of summaries.
- All research shared in MarXiv is indexed by Google Scholar and Altmetric.
- Additionally, all research shared in MarXiv is added to the OSF Preprints database which currently indexes over 2 million research papers from a variety of scholarly sources.
Ready to share your paper?
Excellent! See our submission instructions here.