Is there a pay-walled paper you'd like to access freely in MarXiv? Let us know! We'll reach out to the author and ask them to share a copy with us in MarXiv. Your requests will help us grow awareness of the MarXiv archive and make more papers available to ocean conservationists who can't afford costly journal subscriptions.
There are a few easy ways you can help us request a paper:
The MarXiv Bookmarklet is a tiny bookmark you can add to your browser. Simply click the bookmark on your browser when you're on a supported publisher's website. The bookmarklet will automatically grab information about the paper, and then send that information to our Requests database. We'll reach out to the author and ask that they share their paper in MarXiv.
To install the MarXiv Bookmarklet
To install the MarXiv Bookmarklet, simply create a new bookmark in your browser. For the destination/URL, enter:
Save your new bookmark with a name/title like "MarXiv Request" and then just click the bookmark link to use it. After a short delay, you will see an alert message in your browser with information on the status of your request (i.e. you will see if this is a new request, or a link to the paper if it is already in MarXiv).
How to add a new bookmark in your browser
- Go to the Bookmarks menu and select "Bookmark Manager"
- Click the three vertical dots on the top-right (next to the Search Bookmarks field)
- Select "Add new bookmark"
- Click the Bookmarks menu and select "Show All Bookmarks"
- Click the gear icon and select "New Bookmark"
- Go to the Bookmarks menu, select "Add Bookmark" and save the bookmark
- This will add a bookmark for the current page, which is not what we want, but it gets us halfway there!
- Click the Bookmarks menu again and this time select "Edit Bookmarks"
- Find the bookmark you just created (likely called "Request a paper be added to MarXiv") and right-click the entry for this bookmark on the list
- Select "Edit Address..." and then copy/paste in the bookmark URL above
Supported publisher websites
The MarXiv Bookmarklet currently supports the following publisher websites:
- Taylor & Francis
- Oxford University Press (e.g. ICES Journal of Marine Science)
Tweet us @MarXivPapers the URL or DOI of the paper you'd like to see in MarXiv. We'll take care of the rest!
Email MarXiv Project Director, Nick Wehner, at firstname.lastname@example.org including the URL or DOI of the paper, and he'll take it from there.